Hinsdale Central Robotics team heads to World Championships

The Hinsdale Central High School DevilStorm Robotics Team wins the All-Star Rookie Award at the Midwest Regional Competition at UIC. | Provided
The Hinsdale Central High School DevilStorm Robotics Team wins the All-Star Rookie Award at the Midwest Regional Competition at UIC. | Provided

By winning the All-Star Rookie Award at the First Robotics Midwest Regional Championships, the newly formed Hinsdale Central High School DevilStorm Robotics Team secured a spot at the First Robotics World Championships to be held from April 23 through 26 in St. Louis.

DevilStorm faced more than 50 teams from the Midwest and as far away as Turkey at the three-day regional at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Participation in the program unlocks more than $19 million in scholarships, of which about 60 percent are focused on the subjects of science, engineering, technology and math, and the remaining 40 percent can be used for any course of study. The Rookie All-Star Award recognizes a first-year team that shows a great deal of promise and strength while facing the many challenges inherent in starting a new team.

Leading the team’s first-year effort to compete was junior Jordyn Imaña, who applied for and received a grant from NASA to cover competition fees for the regional event. DevilStorm sponsor Steve Wilson requested the School Board’s support in covering expenses for the championships. The team is sponsored by Hinsdale Central High School, JobGiraffe, Bronson & Bratton, A.M. Castle & Co., and Comtec Industries, Ltd.

“Winning this award certainly helps recognize what our kids are bringing to the table,” said Wilson. “Right now our students are flying high about getting a chance to go to the world championship — something we never dreamed about for this year.”

0 Comments

Modal