Lyons Township High School’s student-run radio station, WLTL 88.1 FM, recently received national recognition at two awards ceremonies.
At the 11th Annual John Drury High School Radio Awards, WLTL received second place in the Best High School Radio Station in the Nation and individual top finishes in eight categories. WLTL was also honored at the Communicator Awards competition with two Awards of Distinction.
The Drury Awards are fiercely competed for by high school radio programs across the country. WLTL was nominated for 17 awards in eight of the ten different categories.
- Best News Feature: senior, Nikia Lenef
- Best Sports Play-By-Play: senior, Jonathan Janas and Mike Maicke (2013)
- Newscast: senior Nikia Lenef
- Public Affairs Program: senior Adrian Petterson
- Public Service Announcement: (all 2013) Collin Thomas, Lisa Jonas, and Joey Rocco.
- Newscast: Brendan Dzwierzynski (2013)
- Sports Talk Program: senior Jonathan Janas, junior Dan Devine, Mike Maicke (2013), and senior Matt Gertsmeier
- Sports Update: Mike Maicke (2013)
In the category of Best High School Radio Station in the Nation, WLTL finished in second place out of nearly 200 eligible stations.
At the Communicator Awards, WLTL earned recognition in the Public Service Announcement and Promotion categories. The Award of Distinction is only given out to those entries that rank in the top 15 percent of all entries received.
Award winners include Christine Pond (2013), for a 3-2-1 Promo and junior Conor Wiegmann along with junior Tommy Baker for a Sportsmanship PSA.