A Lyons Township High School junior will represent the student body next year on the High School District 204 Board.
The School Board named Amanda Bolton of La Grange as the 2014-2015 student representative, beginning in August.
Bolton said her experiences with a wide range of communities that feed into the overall climate of the school make her well-suited for the position. As student representative, she plans to advocate for her classmates regarding student stress by reinforcing the positive momentum toward eradicating class rank, by discussing how homework can be adjusted in order to best benefit the education of the student and also by giving feedback on the kind of learning environment that makes the student more comfortable and willing to learning.
She is a member of the Speech Team, Theatre Board, Madrigals, Class Board and the Lyons Township Community Advisory Council. She serves as a volunteer with Helping Hand and Van Buren Youth Camp and is a 10-year veteran of the Theatre of Western Springs.
Bolton will act as a liaison between the administration and students. She said hopes to create a learning environment that encourages self-exploration and a true passion for learning — one where students don’t have to sacrifice passion for learning in order to receive a certain numerical grade or to choose between activities in order to please any given college.
The student representative position was created 15 years ago and was designed to improve and increase student participation and presence in school operations. The position requires the liaison to have a broad view of the school and all aspects of the Lyons Township High School experience.
Bolton will have the dual responsibility of reporting to the School Board as well as to the students who she represents by:
• Attending all full board meetings, serving as an advisory, nonvoting member. She will be excluded from closed-session discussion, as well as committee participation, unless otherwise directed.
• Preparing and presenting a report for the board on behalf of the student body.
• Meet with the Superintendent prior to each Board meeting in preparation for items to be discussed.
• Serving as a member of the Student Council Executive Board and attending weekly Executive Board meetings and monthly council meetings.
• Preparing and presenting a report for the Student Council on behalf of the School Board.
• Attending committee meetings for either organization, as directed.Tags: Lyons Township High School