BURR RIDGE – The attempted Xanax overdose of a 20-year-old Burr Ridge man earlier in October has brought light to the issue of prescription drug abuse, Hinsdale-Clarendon Hills Patch reports. According to Patch,
"Deputy Chief Boyd Farmer of the Clarendon Hills Police Department says a recent incident of drug overdose in town serves as a reminder of why unused prescription medications should be disposed of.
At 3:52 a.m. on Oct. 18, Clarendon Hills police responded to a report of a possible Xanax overdose in the 100 block of Oxford Avenue. According to reports, a 20-year-old Burr Ridge man, a friend of the family, had come to the house at 10:30 p.m. to play a board game, but upon arrival was slow and showed signs of "being on something." Police were told that in the past he had been addicted to the anti-anxiety medication.
He eventually became unresponsive, and after waiting for an hour, the family called 911. When paramedics arrived, the man's breathing was labored and sporadic and it appeared as if he had vomited through his nose. Farmer said he had indeed overdosed and his blood-oxygen level was at 30 percent."
[Read more from Hinsdale Patch here]