Hinsdale Middle School will not reopen until at least Feb. 3, meaning either the split schedule for middle school students at Clarendon Hills Middle School may continue all next week, or an alternate site for classes will be found.
Hinsdale-Clarendon Hills Elementary District 181 updated the timeline Friday afternoon as a result of progress reports on the mold removal and cleaning at Hinsdale Middle School.
Drywall on the second floor that showed any type of mold has been replaced, and mold discovered on walls as the baseboard was removed also has been treated, and new insulation and microbial gyp board has been installed, Superintendent Renee Schuster wrote in an update to the community. The message included the following points:
• Science rooms, which had been hardest hit by the water damage, are now fully insulated. New microbial drywall has been installed, and the floors are now being addressed. All of the science lab water pipes and drains have been checked for leaks and corrected, she wrote.
• The Media Resource Center carpeting has been steam cleaned and disinfected, and that will be repeated when the final cleaning of the second floor is complete.
• All lockers on the second floor were moved away from the walls and where mold was present, the drywall was removed and replaced with microbial gyp board. The lockers are being re-installed and cleaning of the second floor began today.
• On the first floor, the baseboard has been removed, and the remediation of the mold on the drywall is about 40 percent complete. The first floor will continue to be addressed in the same manner as the second floor. Open walls will be treated, insulated and microbial gyp board installed. Taping and compound has been applied to the drywall on the second floor, and this will also be done on the first floor.
With the updated information, SERVPRO, the company handling the remediation and cleaning, anticipates final cleaning through Jan. 28, and then ductwork cleaning will be done from Jan. 29 to 31. Integrity Environmental Services will then be called in for final air testing.
An open house for Hinsdale Middle School families would be held Feb. 2, under this timeline, with school resuming in the building Feb. 3.
Another special School Board meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Monday at Elm School, 6010 S. Elm St., Burr Ridge, where the administration will present possible options for off-site locations for classes, rather than continuing the split session at CHMS. At the meeting, representatives from SERVPRO and Healy, Bender and Associates architectural firm will provide an update on the progress at HMS and discuss the facility needs.
There also is a possibility of school cancellations or changes due to the extreme cold weather forecasted for early next week.
- Labor group pickets mold-removal work at Hinsdale Middle School
- Clarendon Hills Middle School, HMS students adjust well to split schedule on first day
- Hinsdale Middle School students headed to Clarendon Hills as mold issue gets fixed
- Hinsdale Middle School mold cleanup continues, emergency meeting held
- Hinsdale Middle School remains closed through Jan. 28, board allots $385K for repairs
- Hinsdale Middle School teachers express health concerns about poor air quality, moisture damage