Updated: October 1, 2012 3:07PM
State of the schools
As superintendent for Hinsdale-Clarendon Hills Elementary School District 181, I am happy to welcome our community to a new school year. In 2012-13, our District Strategic Goals are focused on Student Growth, Common Core Curriculum, Opportunities for Community Engagement, Responsible Finances and Employee Excellence. Visit www.d181.org to learn more about our SCORE Goals and how they will be put into action.
In other news:
• We are implementing a new writing curriculum.
• Our teachers will focus their professional development on balanced literacy — instruction in writing, reading, assessment, word study, and listening and speaking.
• We are accelerating our math curriculum to align with the Illinois Standards for Common Core Curriculum and to increase the number of students who complete algebra I by the end of eighth grade.
•The School Board is planning community engagement meetings that will focus on strategic planning and educational programming for advanced learning.
• We ended fiscal year 2012 with a pre-audit surplus and our proposed budget for fiscal year 2013 is balanced.
• We are ranked among the top two percent of bond-rated districts in the country.
• The @d181 Initiative Committee is starting a second year of action research on the impact of mobile technology on teaching and student learning.
Our vision is to be a school district where all children experience success and grow in excellence. I am confident that we will continue to excel in making this vision a reality for our students as we prepare them for the future.